Medical Reports and Sickness Certificates
On occasions insurance companies and employers and some other organisations
may ask your doctor to write a report regarding your medical history for insurance purposes and fitness for employment. The provision of medical reports is governed by The Access to Medical Reports Act, 1988.
The Act covers the following points.
- A report cannot be provided without your consent
- You are entitled to see the report before any third party and you have a right to ask the doctor to make amendments if you feel it is incorrect or misleading. Should the doctor not agree to this you may write a note and attach it to the report before it is sent.
- You have a 21 day period to view the report before it is sent off to the third party. A report can be sent off after 21 days without your viewing provided you consented to the preparation of the report for the third party.
- A doctor must hold a copy of your report for at least six months. You can request to view the report during this time by arrangement with the doctor. A fee will be charged to cover the cost supplying a copy.
- A doctor can decline to reveal elements of the report to you if he/she feels it would be severely detrimental to your physical or mental health
If you are absent from work for less than 7 days a self certificate is required, these can be obtained from your employer.
It is not a statutory right for your employer to ask for a Medical Certificate if you have been absent from work for less than 7 days, if they insist, they can pay for the cost of a Private Certificate which your doctor can provide.
If you are sick for more than 7 days you will need to see your doctor before a Medical Certificate is issued, he/she will need to see you again each time a further certificate is required.
Medical Certificates for absence from school, college or any other place can only be issued as a Private Certificate for which there will be a charge.
FEES FOR NON-NHS SERVICES
PRIVATE SICK NOTE £20.00
VACCINATION CERTIFICATE £10.00
HOLIDAY CANCELLATION CERTIFICATE £20.00
FITNESS TO TRAVEL CERTIFICATE £20.00
CLAIM FORMS (BUPA/PPA ETC) £15.00-£20.00
SICKNESS/ACCIDENT BENEFIT CLAIM FORMS £15.00-£20.00
HGV/PSB PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL £80.00
ENG1 MEDICAL £80.00
OFFSHORE OPERATORS MEDICAL/UKOOA £80.00
FOSTERING MEDICAL £80.00
Any letters required to provide information or to support applications £10